Thursday, November 24, 2005

Older v Younger Men

It's interesting how the younger man/older woman relationship is viewed these days. It used to be almost taboo, but now that we Baby Boom girls have become women of a certain age - well, we're calling the shots, aren't we?

Since I first joined an online dating agency over 3 years ago, I've always received lots of messages from younger guys (some as young as 17, which I viewed as a bit obscene and I told them that I thought they would be better advised to spend their time on revision!) and their comments followed a theme: older women tend to be more relaxed and comfortable with themselves, less demanding, more even-tempered and more open-minded. I have had a couple of young chaps say that they wanted an older woman to teach them what to do (!) to which my response was that I want someone who already knows what to do.

I've never approached a younger man online, as that would make me feel a bit lecherous, but when they contact me, it's only polite to at least have a chat and see who they are.

And yes, when I think of men older than I am (I'm 53), they do look rather ....... old! It's one thing to get involved when you're young and grow old together, but when I look at a bunch of 60-year-old men, I can't say that it sets my heart all aflutter.

Oh, another thing that I like about younger men is that they tend to treat me with more respect. They really value my life experience, and the different perspective I can offer on things that are going on in their lives.

It's early days yet, but this guy, Simon, is nothing if not attentive - he's phoned and sent texts every day this week - some people wouldn't like that much attention, but it's absolutely fine with me, especially since I work at home, and half the days of the week don't see another living soul.

So, we shall see what the weekend brings ..........

Love,
Nance

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nance
Good luck with your new blog, and your new man.
Yvette

4:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nance - Very well said. You give me hope, that there will still be a life for me.. My BF is 18 years older than I am ...
Good luck. IDA

9:46 am  
Blogger Nance said...

Gosh, Ida, how old are you? In my case, that would mean that the guy was 71 - errrrrrrm, I don't think so!

Without being indelicate about this, I do have some needs (as in a woman has some needs) that I think the average 71 year old man would be ill equipped to deal with.

It reminds me of one of Bette Midler's smutty remarks (I do love Bette Midler's smutty remarks) when talking about the age differential thing. She was all in favour (and this was years ago, when she was probably in her 30s). She said it made a lot more sense for a 75 year old woman to go out with a 25 year old man, as opposed to the other way round, as 25 goes into 75 a hell of a lot more times than 75 goes into 25!

For those of you with delicate sensibilities, please forgive the above!

Love,
Nance

10:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you say is true. It is different if you have grown older together. I hope my husband remembers my other body and ignores this flabbier saggier one, because I feel like that about him. I would be much more embarassed for a new man to see it.

7:59 am  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Hi NAnce

You'll love the girls - if they deign to come anywhere near us - they're definitely in love with my DH, and if he's anywhere around, anyone else need not exist...he's So wrapped round those paws!

10:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Counter