Monday, December 12, 2005

What's a Girl To Do?

Men! Can't live with 'em, not allowed to kill 'em! It's no wonder there's such a resurgence in knitting.

First things first. On Thursday evening, the second production of our Festive Farce went swimmingly, and no-one became ill, although I was afraid I was going to, as I had a migraine. I really felt more like crawling off into a hole to die than I did like acting like I wanted to be there, but hey! I guess those years of studying theatre were worth the money after all. (Ha ha, the mail just arrived. It consisted of one item - a Christmas card addressed to Pizza Town Customer. There's a Bridget Jones moment if I ever lived one.)

Anyway, because of the migraine, there was no way that I could travel to Scotland on Friday, nor even think about drinking over the weekend, so I had to beg off. Sorry, girls! I do wish I'd been there. But India, I'm so glad you like the cashmere. Isn't it just too gorgeous for words?

So, feeling a bit better on Saturday, I invited that man over in the evening. He asked if he should bring a bottle of wine, and I said no thanks so he said he'd bring chocolate. I said great, my preference is plain chocolate with nuts. So what did he bring? A Bendicks assortment of white, milk and plain with soft centres. Yeee-uck. What's more dispiriting than a man who can't follow simple instructions? But, as it turned out, that was the high point of the evening. He drank about two gallons of ginger beer and went home. Yawn. I don't know what happened to that funny interesting guy I met on Monday evening, or why he sent his doddery look-alike great uncle over on Saturday, but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Yesterday, I took advantage of the free day I wasn't expecting to have and went out and got some Christmas cards - even wrote out a few. The problem with internet friends is that one doesn't generally have their postal addresses for Christmas cards. I keep trying to stuff them in the CD slot, but they don't go anywhere. And if you e-mail people asking for their addresses a couple of weeks before Christmas, it kind of takes the edge off the surprise, doesn't it? But if any of you would like a no-surprise Christmas card, just e-mail me your address, and I'll send you one, with a return address so you can send me one next year.

Today, I'm getting ready to go to Vienna tomorrow. I'm nervous/excited about that - I always am before I go somewhere I've never been before, especially when travelling alone. Before I go I have to (a) write some more cards, (b) put some stuff on eBay and (c) go to a WI Committee meeting this afternoon. I was just elected to the Committee for the first time last Tuesday (I only joined the WI in September), but have a feeling that I'm going to come home the new Secretary. I can hardly refuse, the President's such an angel. She's going to be 85 on New Year's Day, although you'd never guess she was a day over 72, and my new role model. She has such spirit, but is really quite a shy, quiet woman. And has a real talent for getting people to do things. I went over after Tuesday's meeting to congratulate her on being returned as President, and to say I'd do whatever I could to help out. She ducked her head and gave me a sweet smile and said, Well, we do desperately need a new Secretary, dear. And here's me thinking I was volunteering to learn the words to Jerusalem.

But listen to this, Knitters. Betty's husband died a few years ago, and one of the activities that she took up to fill some of her time was the monthly WI sewing bees, where almost everyone knits rather than sewing. Betty hadn't knitted in about 40 years, but decided she'd take it up again, and looked around for a project. She decided to knit herself a suit. Which she did. Perfectly. Beautifully. What a gal!

Anyway, this isn't getting the potatoes peeled, as they say back home in Potato Country.

Happy trails,
Nance

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as most girls know - you have to kiss a lot of froggs before you find the prince.
Have a really nice trip to Wienna.
IDA

1:35 pm  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Have a brilliant trip to Vienna. Remember to give me your recommendations before we go on the 24th. As for the guy? Better luck next time. x K

9:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Counter