Sunday, February 12, 2006

Oh Canada!

I was thrilled last evening to see that Canada had won a gold medal at the Olympics already (and I think it may possibly have been the first one of the Games?). I'm fortunate to have two countries to support in international competition. Great Britain doesn't do so well in the Winter Games and Canada often doesn't excel in the Summer Games, but the other way round I always have someone to be proud of. I found out four years ago where my loyalties really lie, though, as I was devastated when the British women beat the Canadian women for the gold in Curling - well, after all, something like 75% of the curlers in the world are Canadian!! - so I'm really hoping that the Canadian rink can redress the balance this time. And of course the Canadian Women's Hockey team had all us Canucks leaping about screaming last time. I feel so honoured to be Canadian, it really is a dear and wonderful country, so I would imagine I was the only plump middle aged woman in purple hedgehog pyjamas in Cambridgeshire leaping about, shrieking and waving a Maple Leaf flag last evening when I found out about our first medal!

Today's definitely going to be a Pyjama Day after yesterday. We had our annual charity auction, and that's always the most stressful Saturday of the year for me. We've been doing these auctions for years (I think that was our 13th) and it was all very well when my ex and I were married and I organised the thing and he got all the glory as the auctioneer. I never quite got my head around everyone asking me to thank him for the wonderful auction, but I guess it was ever thus - behind every great man there's a thoroughly hacked off woman!!!!!

But now that we're divorced it's even more fun, as his girlfriend can't get it into her head that I do not ever want him back, not if he were the last man on earth, but that he and I are the best of friends - like an extremely fond brother and sister. So now there's all the stress of the day coupled with beady-eyed (and I apologise for sounding so b*tchy but she really does have beady eyes) glares from her all day.

Anyway, the main thing is that we raised £812 for charity and all went away knackered but rejoicing. Plus I got four really nice dining room chairs and a great little hardwood drop-leaf trolley table for the grand total of £22. Now all I have to do is a major reshifting of furniture in these tiny rooms, as the new purchases are still stacked up in the tiny kitchen, making it impossible to do anything out there except make toast.

But if these are the worst problems I ever encounter, I will be leading a charmed and blessed life.

Love to all,
Nance

7 Comments:

Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Hi NAnce, how ya doin? I was going to have a pj day after much stash organising yesterday, but (terrified whisper) I've got to go to the dentist this afternoon. Think they'd mind if I turn up in my red check flannels?
India

11:37 am  
Blogger Nance said...

Hi India, I hope that they were really gentle with you at the dentist's. Whenever I have to go to the dentist I remind everyone/anyone who will listen that if they treat me like a terrified 3 year old we'll get along fine. What a drag it must be to be a dentist and have a never-ending procession of skittish patients! Hope it went well. Love, Nance

9:04 am  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Well, Nance - I've got to go and have lots of drugs. This (THANK YOU, GOD - and I mean that most sincerely), is a clinic that practices sedation for wimps like me. However, even I felt I had a tad too much. While the fact that I don't remember a darn thing is wonderful, I couldn't work the next day....
India

9:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew a dentist who charged an extra $50 if you told him how much you hated dentists. He said it paid for his swimming pool. More to the point, he longed for patients to say it, instead of dreading it, so it completely changed his outlook on being a hated dentist. True story.

10:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time for an update. The Olympics are soooo last month

8:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy!!!! Have you given up your blog? I pass by everyday... only to see that you are still chearing for Canada.. which is probably Ok... but.. you often write so large post on Rowan.. you must have a lot to say.
Best wishes IDA

11:40 am  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Hey Nance, had lunch with Jill last weeks - she tells me you've has a fair few lurgies since Christmas, too. Hope you're on the mend.
India

10:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Counter