Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Madness

I've just crawled out of the understairs cupboard (which is, incidentally, the warmest place in the house) after rummaging through to see just what exactly is in there. Guess what I found? Yarn! Wool, cotton, silk, cashmere, you name it, it's in there. Also a coffee table and two end tables, several hundred books, about 20 carry-alls, a lot of coat hangers - you get the picture. Aside from the fact that I now feel like a roast suckling pig (except that there's no apple in my mouth), I'd have to call the half hour I spent in there a success, as I've organised it into much better shape. Almost all of the yarn is going on eBay, so knitters ahoy!

I've been knitting quite a lot. I went to a WI sewing bee yesterday afternoon - it took me three tries to find the right house, so you can tell I don't bleach my hair this colour for nothing - and knitted for two straight hours on the DB Alpaca Silk wrist-to-wrist jacket in that delicious indigo blue, and I have two other things that I'm working on on a rotational basis, one day apiece in sequence. So today it's meant to be the alarmingly red DB Astrakhan cardigan with the shawl collar, but it will be at least 10 tonight before I get any knitting in, as I have two meetings this evening. I hate double bookings, especially since I have to go to both of them, as I'm chairing the first and acting in the second which is a rehearsal for a murder mystery dinner that we're putting on in a month and a half. Anyway, the sewing bee was great fun. All but two of the 12 of us knitted - some of these gals have been knitting for 70 or 80 years, so my 40-odd make me a rank beginner by comparison.

Other than that, I've been spending these endless January days working on eBaying, and it's been great. There's a lot of work involved, but it's kept me from having to go out and get a job so I'm not complaining at all.

No men in sight at the moment, but there's always Mr Drubie waiting for me when I go to bed. He may only be a stuffed dog, but he's very intelligent and loves a cuddle.

Well, I guess I'd better spend an hour looking for my script for the rehearsal. I do wish that people wouldn't give me these pieces of paper months in advance and then expect me to come up with them at the drop of a hat.

Chins up, folks, the days are getting longer, the daffodils are coming up, the birdies are singing their feathery little heads off and spring is on its way. Not immediately mind you, but it'll get here.

Love,
Nance

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nance, sounds as if you have unearthed treasure trove under your stairs! What a wonderful haul.

Your murder mystery dinner sounds like a lot of fun, pity the poor victim if they don't get to take much of a part.

10:28 pm  
Blogger Nance said...

Hi Louise,

The poor victim then has to rise from her deathbed and help serve dinner! I'm really glad that I get to sit onstage and eat mine.

Love,
Nance

12:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Nance, good on you for destashing stuff you won't ever knit. (Not the good stuff, of course). I need to do that to my embroidery and patchwork stashes, because for the last few years, I'd rather be knitting. I'm working my way through the house but it is slow, and sometimes disheartening. Most things go to charities which engenders a virtuous glow in me, but not my wallet. Keep up the good work!
Regards, Linda

9:55 am  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

Nance - I'm about ready to embark on a re-do of my stash storage. The Salvation Army is coming to move and remove a desk from my extra bedroom which will give my knitting spot more room....I wonder what I'll find....don't think it will be as fun as your find - more like dust bunnies!
Knit on

9:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Counter